Carer Gateway is a national online and phone service that provides practical information and resources to support carers. The interactive service finder helps carers connect to local support services.
If you help a family member or friend who has a disability, chronic illness, dementia, mental illness, an addiction or is frail aged, then Carer Gateway could help you.
Carers can be family members or friends, they can be parents, children, siblings, grandparents or neighbours. Some carers look after another person 24 hours a day and help with daily living activities, while other carers look after people who are fairly independent but need help with some everyday tasks.
Carer Gateway provides a range of information that can help carers in their role, from practical advice and resources, to help finding support services including:
- information on the types of care and stages of caring
- advice on how to look after yourself while caring for someone
- managing day to day care
- legal and financial support considerations
- what to do in an emergency or crisis situation
- help on combining caring with work or study.