This is an opportunity to discuss issues related to dementia.
Counsellors are skilled professionals who are trained to provide support, advice and practical assistance.
People who can benefit from dementia counselling include:
- People in the early stages of dementia
- Carers of people with dementia
- Family such as spouse, partners and children
- Friends and other significant people
Dementia counselling can assist individuals and families by:
- Gaining an understanding of the impact of dementia
- Identifying strategies for coping and living with dementia
- Planning how to care in the future when the dementia changes
- Dealing with feelings of stress and a mixture of emotions
- Helping families reach agreement on dementia care issues
- Making referrals for relevant assistance
Often a family conference with a dementia counsellor is a valuable first step in making sure that everyone concerned is at the same level of understanding and can develop complimentary support roles. Family counselling can also support family groups to work towards improving relationships when finding ways to cope with living with dementia.
For further information or to arrange counselling call the National Dementia Helpline on 1800 100 500.