Information and support program for people living with early stage dementia and their support person.
The Living with Dementia program is a flexible 4-6 week program for people with early stage dementia and their support person.
If you want more information and would prefer to speak to someone on the phone, please call the National Dementia Helpline on 1800 100 500.
There are Living with Dementia group programs for people with specific needs:
- Living with Dementia for people with Alzheimer’s Disease;
- Individual programs for people who have dementia with Lewy Bodies (Lewy Body Disease), mild cognitive impairments, memory loss, and fronto-temporal dementia;
- A specialized Living with Dementia Program for people with younger onset dementia.
What is the Living with Dementia program?
Living with Dementia is a group program usually held in six weekly sessions or as a residential retreat. Programs are run in both metropolitan and regional locations at no charge to the participants. The program is very flexible, and options can be discussed with the Dementia Australia team.
The program offers the opportunity for support people and people with dementia to separate into groups, facilitating discussion in small, supportive peer groups of people with similar issues.
What will be talked about in the program?
- Dementia symptoms and diagnosis;
- Adapting to changes brought about by dementia;
- Dementia research and drug treatments;
- Practical strategies;
- Relationships and communication;
- Planning for the future;
- Community services;
- Legal issues;
- Looking after yourself;
- “Where to from here?”
Participants have an opportunity to:
- Obtain the latest information on dementia;
- Ask questions about their diagnosis or that of a loved one, and have questions answered;
- Meet and talk confidentially with others in a similar situation;
- Discuss experiences and express feelings in a safe environment;
- Focus on maintaining and enhancing skills and abilities;
- Explore ways of managing now and into the future.
“I felt comfortable at each session. I was always listened to and any questions I had were dealt with professionally” - Family member
“I found the program to be very helpful in promoting a better understanding of my diagnosis and sharing information with other couples.” - Person with dementia
“We were supported by knowledgeable sensitive and caring people who provided us with practical realistic and appropriate advice.” - Person with mild cognitive impairment
To discuss if this service is suitable for you please call the National Dementia Helpline on 1800 100 500.
Service Providers can make a referral by clicking below to download a form and fax the completed version to 03 9815 7801